Audience

Audience is perhaps the simplest element to grasp, as it is who the writer is directing their writing towards. This could be towards a singular person, an organization, or a general population. Although it being simple to understand, it is still vital to the construction of a document. If your audience does not want to read too much, it can influence the writer to only cover the vital points of their document and also changing the medium or genre into something more digestible. Or if the audience is someone who is knowledgeable on the subject matter and wants a comprehensive document on it, the writer may be prompted to use a genre and media that allows them to convey a large amount of information, while also being extra descriptive in their content to adhere to the reader’s standards. This more or less shows the important of audience and why a writer should consider it in their writing if they want to strengthen their document.

My understanding of audience was documented in Figure 1, depicting an assignment we had to complete of telling four different audiences on why Michelle Obama would make a better president than Beyonce. It details the different approaches I would take to each of the separate audiences, as I would not address all of them the same way to effectively get my point across.

Figure 1 – Blackboard Audience Assignment